About The San Benito County Historical Society
To collect and preserve materials pertaining to the history of San Benito County. To promote an interest in and appreciation of the County's past, by providing programs that offer educational opportunities and experiences. To bring together for exchange of ideas those interested in history, especially that of San Benito County.
The Society's History
The first meeting of the San Benito County Historical Society was held at the high school's Choral Room on July 25, 1956 with 32 Charter Members in attendance. The program that evening included the history of our county's Post Offices. Bill Aichele, President of the newly formed organization, provided a colorful narration. Marjorie Flint served as the first Vice President and Charlotte Berberick was the first Secretary. Annual dues of $1.00 was established until 1965 when it doubled to $2.00
The Historical Society started looking for a museum in 1960; however, it was not until April 23, 1974 that our dream became a reality. The maid's quarters of the old Wapple house was the perfect location for our growing collection of historical artifacts. Marjorie Flint was the first Museum Curator.
In 1977 the Historical Society, led by Charter Member Dick Hill, successfully rescued the Sullivan house from a practice burn by the Hollister Fire Department. The oldest home in Hollister was moved on June 15, 1977 to the County Park, becoming the nucleus of a growing Historical Village.
The Society continues to grow in knowledge of the county's history and looks forward to the next millennium.
Membership meetings occur quarterly, and are a great opportunity for members to socialize. Guest speakers talk on various subjects concerning the history of our county. Meetings begin at 7:00 pm at the Museum at 498 Fifth Street in Hollister; you do not need to be a member to attend. For dates please check the "Calendar of Events" page.